BODMAS – Order of Mathematical Operations
BODMAS is an acronym that shows us which operation to do first and how to order them. We have learnt the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. It is easy to carry out these operations separately. But sometimes we have to solve all these operations in one example. At that time to get proper answer there are some rules and we should follow the rules of BODMAS.
First we shall see what BODMAS is.
BODMAS is an acronym for-
Rules to Follow
It is important to follow the rules of BODMAS to get the correct answer. If we don’t follow the rules we don’t get the correct answer.
So to get correct answer we should solve examples by following the rules given below.
- First we should solve operations in brackets.
- After that, carry out orders (square root, power, of etc.)
- Carry out division in the order left to right.
- Multiplication in the order left to right.
- Carry out addition in the order left to right.
- Subtraction in the order left to right.
Keep in mind that-
- Division and multiplication rank equally so go left to right.
- Addition and subtraction rank equally so go left to right.
Example of BODMAS- Order of Operations
We shall take examples-
- Brackets first
5 × (4 + 6) = 5 × 10 = 50 Correct answer
First add 4 & 6 and then multiply by 5
Don’t do this-
5 × (4 + 6) = 20 + 6 = 26 Wrong answer
2. Order – exponents (roots, powers), of
Sometimes o is associated with ‘of’
8 × 42 = 8 × 16 = 128 Correct
First find out square of 4 and then multiply it by 8.
Don’t do this-
8 × 42 = 322 = 1024 wrong
3. Division and Multiplication
4 × 5 ÷ 2 + 7 = 20 ÷ 2 + 7 = 10 + 7 = 17
As division and multiplication are of equal rank, you can do anything starting from left to right and then go for addition.
4. Addition and Subtraction
Addition and Subtraction also are of equal rank so go from left to right.
4 + 5 – 7 + 6 = 9 – 7 + 6 = 2 + 6 = 8
- First add 4 & 5.
- Subtract 7 from 9
- Add 2 & 6
- We get the answer 8
So while carrying out operations, we should follow the above rules strictly to get proper answer.
You may also like-