Possessive Pronoun is a part of speech. Possessive Pronouns are used to show possession.
In the sentence, Possessive Pronoun is used instead of noun phrase to avoid repetition of noun phrase
We can use Possessive Pronouns depending upon-
- Person- first person- mine, second person- yours or third person- his, hers
- Number- singular number-mine, yours, her, his or plural number- ours, yours and theirs
- Gender- male- his or female- hers.
The possessive pronouns in English are in the following table.
Two forms of Possessive cases
There are two forms of possessive cases.
Possessive objects Possessive Pronouns
Possessive Pronoun is used instead of Noun Phrase
Possessive pronouns give clarity sounding good.
In sentence, possessive pronoun takes the place of noun phrase.
Here are some examples. possessive pronouns are in bold letters.
- Read these articles. My article is the most informative.
- ‘Read these articles. Mine is the most informative.(the word ‘mine ‘ took place of ‘my article’ )
- My bag is small. Your bag is big.
- My bag is small. Yours is big.( ‘your bag’ is replaced by ‘yours’)
- All pictures are good but his picture is the best.
- All pictures are good but his is the best.( ‘his picture’ is replaced by ‘his’)
- My office is at Churny road, Yours is at Central.
- I don’t like blue coloured sofa but yours is awesome.
- That blue car is ours and not theirs.
We use possessive adjectives with nouns as adjectives.