What are adjectives?
Modifier and qualifier are the synonyms for adjective. An Adjective is a describing word. It describes noun as well as pronoun. The use of modifier makes our sentence more specific. We use modifiers to identify or specify the nouns or pronouns. The modifying word placed before noun or pronoun in the sentence is an adjective.
Describing words like black, blunt, clever, thousand are all adjectives.
Get an adjective in the sentence
We get adjective by asking question to noun-
- What kind?
- How many?
- Which one?
Here are some examples of modifiers. We get modifier by questioning ‘what kind’ to noun.
- The tall man was staring at him.
- She took a cute puppy with her.
- Children were in the dirty dress.
- She was working on a large computer.
- Warren painted a wall with the blue oil paint.
Here are some examples of modifiers. We get the modifier by questioning ‘how many’ to noun.
- Some pillow covers were red.
- I got many books.
- He bought four shirts from super market.
- It’s fifteen minutes to ten.
- She saved few dollars.
Here are some examples of these modifiers. We get these modifiers by questioning ‘which one’ to noun.
- This book is my favorite.
- These shirts are cleaned by machine.
- This egg is of no use because it is rotten.
- That machine was automatic.
- He liked those socks very much.
We get these qualifiers by questioning ‘which one’ to noun. Here are some examples of these qualifiers.
- That is John’s book.
- He always update his profile.
- I washed its paws with warm water.
- A girl standing in front of that shop is Ayush’s sister.
Types of Adjectives
Types of adjectives are as follows-
There are three articles- ‘a’, ‘an’ and ‘the’. All three articles are adjectives.
- quantity– give information about quantity
- Interrogative adjectives – used to ask questions
- Adjectives of quality– explains the quality of a thing or person
- Demonstrative adjectives – denote the particular person or thing
- Adjectives of number– give information about numbers
- Exclamatory adjectives – indicate strong emotion.
- Emphasizing adjectives – lay stress on the proceeding noun
You will get more information of these types of adjectives by clicking the above links.