What is Noun?
Let’s get some idea with examples of names for people, animal, places, actions, qualities and objects.
Names for –
- people- teacher, Rahul, niece and boy
- animals- lion, cat, camel and cow
- places- shed, temple, Mumbai and school
- actions- writing, cooking, watching and speaking
- qualities- childhood, kindness, belief and cleanliness
- objects- chair, cupboard, computer and bed
There are two main types of nouns– Proper and Common.
This is a name given to class of person, place or thing.
Any noun can either be common or proper.
Common nouns can be differentiated into-
- Concrete Nouns
These words represent something that can be heard, smelt, tasted, seen or touched.
- Abstract Nouns
These names show something that we can’t physically touch, feel, hear, taste, smell, or see.
- Collective Nouns
- Countable Nouns
- three girls
- four tables
- six carpets
- Uncountable Nouns
This is a name that cannot be counted so it is named uncountable.
- Compound Nouns
In this, two or more names are combined to form single noun that gives proper meaning of that word.
- college boy
- lemon juice