Proper Noun – a Specific Name
Proper Noun is distinguished from common noun. Proper Noun is a word that is a specific name of person, place, institution, city, corporation and planet.
We know, the noun means name of anything, that is people, places, things and ideas but according to the use nouns are differentiated into two kinds-
Keep in Mind about Proper Noun
When we use proper nouns in the sentences, we should keep some ideas in mind.
- We should always write the beginning letter of Proper names capital, no matter wherever it is in the sentence.
- We use the term noun for a single word therefore only proper names with single word are proper nouns.
- In English, proper names are not used with articles or other modifiers such as ‘another’ or ‘any’.
Here we shall take some examples to know the use of proper nouns in the sentence.
Examples of Proper Noun
In the following sentences, there is use of common as well as proper nouns. You will get that these names are used to show specific names and common nouns are used to show general names.
Common are in green colour and Proper Nouns are in blue colour.
- I have to pursue my studies in one of the best subjects.
I have to pursue my studies in Mathematics.
- Prachi resides near the city.
Prachi resides near Mumbai.
- He reached the capital of India in the morning.
He reached Delhi in the morning.
- She wants to be a singer.
Lata Mangeshkar is a great singer.
- She always go for a walk with her friends.
She always go for a walk with Arohi and Sneha.
In above sentences-
Mathematics, Mumbai, Delhi, Lata Mangeshkar, Arohi and Sneha are the names of subject, places and persons.
Related links to learn more-
How to use Proper Nouns
The use of proper noun is very easy. You can use proper noun anywhere in the sentence but we should ensure that the starting letter of proper noun is capital.
Here are some examples, observe those-
- There is a school near the place where he resides but there are no qualified teachers except Mrs. Gloria.
- They wanted to go anywhere to relax from this working place, so they decided to go Goa.
Examples of Proper Nouns
Here are some examples.
- Class teacher of fifth standard is Mrs. Manjule.
- His friend has to pursue his engineering at Germany.
- Abdul Kalam was a president and scientist.
- That picture is drawn in Titanic.
In above sentences, blue coloured words are Proper nouns.
Related links of naming words-