Proper Noun – a Specific Name
Proper Noun is distinguished from the common noun.
A proper noun is a specific name of person, place, institution, city, corporation and the planet.
We know, the noun means the name of anything that is people, places, things, and ideas.
But according to the use, nouns are differentiated into two kinds-
Keep in Mind about Proper Noun
When we use proper nouns in the sentences, we should keep some ideas in mind.
- We should always write the beginning letter of proper name capital, no matter wherever it is in the sentence.
- We use the term noun for a single word. Therefore only proper names with the single word are proper nouns.
- In English, proper names are not used with articles or other modifiers such as ‘another’ or ‘any’.
Here we shall take some examples to know the use of proper nouns in the sentence.
Examples of Proper Noun
In the following sentences, there is the use of common as well as proper nouns. You will get that these nouns are used to show specific names and common nouns are used to show general names.
Common nouns are green and proper nouns are blue in colour.
- I have to pursue my studies in one of the best subjects.
I have to pursue my studies in Mathematics.
- Prachi resides near the city.
Prachi resides near Mumbai.
- He reached the capital of India in the morning.
He reached Delhi in the morning.
- She wants to be a singer.
Lata Mangeshkar is a great singer.
- She always goes for a walk with her friends.
She always goes for a walk with Arohi and Sneha.
In the above sentences-
Mathematics, Mumbai, Delhi, Lata Mangeshkar, Arohi and Sneha are the names of subjects, places and persons.
Related links to learn more-
How to use Proper Nouns
The use of a proper noun is easy.
We can use proper noun anywhere in the sentence, but we should ensure that the starting letter is capital.
Here are some examples, observe those-
- There is a school near the place where he resides, but there are no qualified teachers except Mrs. Gloria.
- They wanted to go anywhere to relax from this working place, so they decided to go Goa.
Examples of Proper Nouns
Here are some examples.
- The class teacher of the fifth standard is Mrs. Manjule.
- His friend has to pursue his engineering in Germany.
- Abdul Kalam was a president and scientist.
- That picture is drawn in Titanic.
In the above sentences, blue coloured words are Proper nouns.
Related links of naming words-