What is a Proper Noun?
A proper noun is a specific name of a person, place, institution, city, corporation and planet.
Proper Noun Definition
We can say Proper noun definition is as follows;
A proper Noun is a noun that names a specific person, place, thing, and idea.
A proper Noun is distinguished from the common Noun.
Keep in Mind about Proper Noun
When we use proper nouns in sentences, we should remember some ideas.
- We should always write the beginning letter of the proper name in the capital, no matter wherever it is in the sentence.
- We use the term noun for a single word. Therefore only proper names with a single word are proper nouns.
- In English, proper names are not used with articles or modifiers such as ‘another’ or ‘any’.
Here we shall take some examples to know the use of proper nouns in the sentence.
Examples of Proper Nouns in sentences
Common nouns are in italics, and proper nouns are in bold letters.
- I have to pursue my studies in one of the best subjects.
I have to pursue my studies in Mathematics.
- Prachi resides near the city.
Prachi resides near Mumbai.
- He reached the capital of India in the morning.
He reached Delhi in the morning.
- She wants to be a singer.
Lata Mangeshkar is a great singer.
She always goes for a walk with Arohi and Sneha.
In the above sentences-
Related links to learn more-
How to use Proper Nouns
The use of a proper noun is easy.
We can use proper nouns anywhere in the sentence, but we should ensure that the starting letter is capital.
Here are some examples; observe those-
- There is a school near the place where he resides, but there are no qualified teachers except Mrs Gloria.
- They wanted to go anywhere to relax from this working place, so they decided to go to Goa.
Proper Noun Example in Sentence
Here are some proper noun examples in sentences. Those are in bold letters.
Let’s have a look-
- The class teacher of the fifth standard is Mrs Manjule.
- His friend has to pursue engineering in Germany.
- Abdul Kalam was a president and scientist.
- That picture is drawn on Titanic.
In the above sentences, blue-coloured words are Proper nouns.
Proper Noun Definition for Kids
We always ask others their name, and we get the answer-
- My name is Akash.
- My name is Sara.
In the above sentences, ‘Akash’ is the name of a boy, and ‘Sara’ is the name of a girl.
- India is my country.
- She bought a Mercedes.
In the above sentences, India is the name of a place, and Mercedes is the name of a thing.
In Grammar, we say Akash, Sara, India, and Mercedes are proper nouns.
So, the proper noun definition is–
A proper noun is a name given to something that is a person, place, or thing.
Here are some queries and answers to those queries. Have a look-
- singer proper Noun
- singer is a proper noun
- is singer a proper noun
- singer is a common noun or proper Noun
- singer is common Noun or proper Noun
- singer is which type of Noun
- singer is a noun or not
- is singer a noun
Answer- Yes, ‘singer is a noun, but it is not a proper noun. It is a common noun.
- proper noun for singer
- proper noun of singer
Answer- The proper Noun for the ‘singer’ would be the name of the singer. For example, Arijit Singh is a renowned singer.
- proper Noun of place
- proper Noun of city
- proper Noun for city
- proper Noun for city
Answer- The proper Noun for the ‘city’ would be the name of the city, that is, a particular place; so, for example, Mumbai is a beautiful city.
- Is scientist a proper noun?
- is scientist a proper noun
Answer- No, the word ‘scientist, does not refer to a particular person, so scientist is not a proper noun.
- Is we a proper noun
- Is he a proper noun
- Is she a proper noun
- Is I a proper noun
- is my a proper noun
Answer- No, I, we, you, he, she, my, and ‘they are not proper nouns.
- Goa is common or proper Noun
It is a specific name of a place, so Goa is a proper noun.
- is English a proper noun
Answer- It is a specific name of a subject, so English is a proper noun.
- mathematics proper noun
- is mathematics a proper noun
Answer- It is a specific name of a subject, so Mathematics is a proper noun.
- planet common noun or proper Noun
- is planet a common noun
- is planet a proper noun
Answer- No, the planet is not a proper noun. It does not specify any place.
- is green a proper noun
- is blue a proper noun
- green is proper Noun
Answer- The names of colours are generally not proper nouns.
- is friends a proper noun
- is friend a proper noun
Answer- No, the word ‘friend’ does not refer to a specific one, so ‘friend is not a proper noun.
You may also like the related links for naming words-