What is a Common Noun?
Examples of Common Noun
Read some examples-
- That school is for girls.
- The dog is a pet animal.
- A chameleon is a beautiful animal.
- Crow is a bird with black colour.
- Keep the ladle in the sink.
- The pen is on the table.
- Ask the waiter for a finger bowl.
Such words that refer to any common name are called Common Nouns.
Here are some examples. These names are in bold letters.
- Please call the police.
- I have an appointment with the doctor.
- The bus driver is standing at the bus stop.
- The waiter works promptly during his working period.
- I heard that your cousin is joining a multinational company.
- The teachers of St Joseph school are very hard-working.
Beginning letters of the common nouns are not written in the capital, but when these are used as starting words of a sentence, then the starting letter of the used common noun is written in capital. Sometimes we use proper nouns as common nouns.
These are differentiated into two parts. You will get more information about those in the following articles.
You may like the related links below.
- Abstract – We cannot see or touch abstract nouns like happiness, sadness.
- Concrete – We can see or touch concrete nouns like a table, chair.
- Collective – We can use collective nouns to tell about the groups like herd for a group of cattle, the crowd for a group of people.
So the common name is a common noun.