An abstract noun is a noun that cannot be heard, smelt, touched or seen that is, they cannot be experienced by our five sensory organs. Here are some examples in which we have used abstract nouns in the sentences.
Have a look-
Examples of Abstract Noun
An abstract noun is in bold letters.
- In childhood, I used to climb on the tree.
- She cracked a joke and laughter broke out.
- I like the beauty of nature.
- Metal gets the hardness after a chemical reaction.
- She has a fear of open spaces.
- I hate rude people.
- As her mother died last week, she is in grief.
- Don’t challenge me. I have the courage to climb on this mountain.
- There is too much pain in my back.
- We should face the failure.
- He takes an interest in reading fiction.
- That daily soap is about an adventure of a small boy.
- Your life is so beautiful.
In the above sentences, the words, ‘childhood’, ‘laughter’, and ‘hardness’ show the state, action and quality.
We call such words as abstract nouns, which show state, action, quality.
The names of Sciences and Arts are also abstract Nouns.
Ex- Physics, Biology.
Concrete Noun represents something that can be heard, smelt, tasted, seen or touched.
Abstract nouns are opposite to Concrete nouns.
Examples of Concrete Nouns
Here are some examples of these names.
These names are in bold letters.
- The Book is on the table.
- Keep that bag
- There is a big tree in front of his house.
- The Lion is a forest animal.
- Cloud has white colour.
- The table is made of wood.
- Nowadays a computer has become a very important device.
- The Book is covered with plastic-coated paper.
- He purchased a new TV yesterday.
In the above sentences, the words book, table, bag, tree, house, lion, forest, animal, cloud are concrete nouns.
For more, go over-