Table of Contents
What Is a Sentence?
A sentence is a group of words arranged in proper form. A sentence contains a subject and predicate. That is, a group of words giving complete sense is called a sentence.
We should keep in mind that,
- must contain a subject and predicate,
- should be complete in sense,
- the starting letter should be capital,
- full stop, exclamatory mark, or question mark should be at the end.
Examples of Sentence
We shall take some examples-
- That is a table.
In the above group of words, ‘that’ is a subject and ‘is a table’ is a predicate.
It means, the terms-
- The subject is the topic of a sentence.
In such a group of words, we give information about the subject. It means we come to know what the sentence is about.
- The predicate is the information about a subject that is the remaining part excluding a subject is the predicate.
Some groups of words are short and some are long but in the sentences, subject and predicate are necessary.
Verb presence is compulsory in the sentences because without a verb we will not be able to understand the proper meaning.
The predicate always contains a verb whether the sentences are short, long, simple, or complex.
Examples of Short Sentences
Here are some examples of short sentences.
Sometimes, the predicate is only a verb.
Have a look-
Sometimes, the predicate contains a verb and only one or two other words.
Have a look-
- We learn mathematics.
- She learned easy moves.
- They knew the terms and conditions.
Examples of Long Sentences
Now we shall have some long group of words.
- Seeta and Geeta are helping blind people to cross the road.
- John’s sister Helen flew to America for further studies.
Sentences with the Only Verb
We know that a group of words should consist of at least a subject and a verb, but when someone gives the order, it is with only a verb. In these sentences, the subject is understood. It means we are saying someone who is with us.
Let’s have a look-
- Stop! (You stop!)
- See! (You see!)
- Pay attention. (You pay attention. Or- All of you pay attention.)
Types of Sentences
There are four types of sentences.