What Is a Sentence?
A sentence is a group of words arranged in proper form. A sentence contains a subject and predicate. That is, a group of words giving complete sense is called a sentence.
We should keep in mind that,
- A sentence must contain a subject and predicate.
- It should be complete in sense.
- It should start with the capital letter.
- In a sentence, a full stop, exclamatory mark, or question mark should be at the end.
Examples of the Sentence
We shall take some examples-
- That is a table.
In the above group of words, ‘that’ is a subject and ‘is a table’ is a predicate.
It means, the terms-
- The subject is the topic of a sentence.
In such a group of words, we give information about the subject. It means we come to know what the sentence is about.
- The predicate is the information about a subject that is the remaining part, excluding a subject is a predicate.
Some groups of words are short and some are long. But in the sentences, subject and predicate are necessary.
Verb presence is compulsory in a sentence because without a verb we will not be able to understand the proper meaning of a sentence.
The predicate always contains a verb whether the sentences are short, long, simple, or complex.
Examples of Short Sentences
Here are some examples of short sentences.
Sometimes, the predicate is only a verb.
Have a look-
Sometimes, the predicate contains a verb and only one or two other words.
Have a look-
- We learn mathematics.
- She learned easy moves.
- They knew the terms and conditions.
Examples of Long Sentences
Now we shall have some long group of words.
- Seeta and Geeta are helping blind people to cross the road.
- John’s sister Helen flew to America for further studies.
Sentences with the Only Verb
We know that a group of words should consist of at least a subject and a verb. But when someone gives the order, it is with only a verb. In these sentences, the subject is understood. It means we are saying someone who is with us.
Let’s have a look-
- Stop! (You stop!)
- See! (You see!)
- Pay attention. (You pay attention. Or- All of you pay attention.)
Types of Sentences
There are four types of sentences.