Table of Contents
Verb- a Part of Speech
A Verb is an action word.
A verb is an important part of speech.
We can’t get the proper meaning of the sentences without verbs.
Verbs are words that tell something about persons, places, or things.
- An action
- State of being
Verb- how it works
We shall take some sentences to see how the verb works in the sentence.
- The boy wrote an essay.
- She is very beautiful.
If we write the above sentences as-
- The boy an essay.
- She very beautiful.
These sentences don’t make complete sense but in the above sentences, we get a complete sense of the sentences because of the words ‘wrote’ and ‘is’
We can also call these words ‘action words’.
We use a verb to explain about-
- How a person or thing is
- What a person or thing does
- What is done to a person or thing
How a person or thing is; as,
- The route is long.
- The dog is alive.
- She felt sorry.
- I am a student.
- We are college faculties.
What a person or thing does; as,
- The baby cries loudly.
- Children play in the ground.
- Dog ran after the cat.
- The cleaner cleans all the four rooms and the balcony daily.
What is done to person or thing; as,
- Rani is mocked by her friends.
- The table is broken.
- A large tree of hundred years old was cut to broaden the road.
- Four wheeler vehicle is parked in no parking area.
Use of more than one word
Always, there is the use of more than one word as a verb in a sentence; as,
- The boys were playing in the ground.
- We are singing a national song at the starting of an event.
- On that day, Sarita was driving a car.
- She has learned that lesson.
- Charu had watched that movie.
- I am cooking.
- The wall has been built.
- Students have been studying.
- The judge has accused criminals.