What are Conjunctions?
Conjunction is a word which is used to join two words, two phrases or two clauses.
There are many words used as conjunctions.
List of some conjunctions-
We use few common conjunctions but they perform many functions.
Here is a list of common joining words used in English.
- either or
- neither nor
- not only
Examples – Sentence with Conjunction
Examples of how to use conjunctions in sentences are given here-
- Sameer and Charwak are brothers.
- I met her and her mother on same day.
- I ran fast but missed the train.
- You didn’t complete the work, but she did.
- Because it is difficult to learn, he joined the class.
- He got in the crowded bus because he had to reach there on time.
- I had dinner with my children.
- She saw a man with her boss
In above sentences:
Joining word ‘and’ is joining-
- two words; Sameer, Charwak
- a word and a phrase;her, her mother
Joining word ‘but’ is joining-
- a clause and a phrase; I ran fast, missed the train
- two clauses; You didn’t complete the work, she did
Joining word ‘because’ is joining-
- two clauses; it is difficult to learn, he joined the class
- two clauses; He got in the crowded bus, he had to reach there on time
Joining word ‘with’ is joining-
- a word ‘dinner’ and a phrase ‘my children’
- a word ‘man’ and a phrase ‘her boss’
In above sentences; and, but, but, because, with are conjunctions.
Types of Conjunctions
All conjunctions perform the same function of joining words, phrases and clauses.
There are three types of conjunctions.
- Subordinating Conjunctions