What Are Conjunctions/ Joining Words?
A conjunction is a word that we use to join two words, two phrases, and two clauses. It is a part of speech, and it is very important in the sentence. Joining words is the alternate name for conjunctions. That is, joining words are the words that join two words, two phrases, or two clauses.
There are many words used as conjunctions.
List of some conjunctions-
We use a few common conjunctions, but they perform many functions.
Here is a list of common joining words used in English.
- either or
- neither nor
- not only
Examples – Sentence with Conjunction
Examples of how to use conjunctions in sentences are given here-
- Sameer and Charwak are brothers.
- I met her and her mother on the same day.
- I ran fast but missed the train.
- You didn’t complete the work, but she did.
- Because it is difficult to learn, he joined the class.
- He got in/on the crowded bus because he had to reach there on time. (on-American English)
- I had dinner with my children.
- She saw a man with her boss.
In the above sentences:
Joining word ‘and’ is joining-
- two words; Sameer, Charwak
- a word and a phrase; her, her mother
Joining word ‘but’ is joining-
- a clause and a phrase; I ran fast, missed the train
- two clauses; You didn’t complete the work, and she did
Joining word ‘because’ is joining-
- two clauses: it is difficult to learn, he joined the class
- two clauses: He got in the crowded bus, he had to reach there on time
Joining word ‘with’ is joining-
- a word ‘dinner’ and a phrase ‘my children’
- a word ‘man’ and a phrase ‘her boss’
In the above sentences: and, but, but, because, with are conjunctions.
More examples of joining words in sentences
- They all started their work before sunrise.
- I went home after taking my son from his school.
- There will be no end of quarrel until somebody says sorry.
- Put the light off when the party had finished.
- I clean my computer whenever I start it.
- Kids go to the ground while the mother goes to work.
In the above sentences: before, after, until, when, whenever, and while are the joining words.
Types of Conjunctions
All conjunctions perform the same function of joining words, phrases, and clauses.
There are three types of conjunctions.
- Subordinating Conjunctions
You may also like-