What is an Assertive sentence?
An assertive sentence is a statement of the assertion. The meaning of the assertive sentence is in its name itself. This sentence gives information about facts, history, incidents, opinions, events, feeling, and beliefs. This sentence is used most commonly in books, informative articles, reports as well as in essays. An assertive sentence ends with a full stop (.).
Most of the sentences in the English language are assertive sentences.
Definition of an assertive sentence
The sentence which asserts a statement, fact, incident, opinion, event, feeling, belief, is called an assertive sentence. As this sentence asserts, states or declares is also called a Declarative sentence.
The assertive sentence and declarative sentence is the same.
Declarative sentences are simple statements. We can use a declarative sentence of any length. Though the length of the group of words varies, this group of words also contains subject and predicate. Already we have seen this in the chapter ‘The sentence‘.
10 Examples of assertive sentence
Here are some examples of assertive sentences. Let’s have a look-
- She likes writing about the sounds of birds.
- She doesn’t like crowded places.
- Her brother copies the sounds of animals.
- It was raining.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- The students were attending the class.
- The Sun rises in the East.
- We are not your relatives.
- I love you all.
- They have come to participate in the event.
We can use a declarative sentence in simple, compound, or complex.
Assertive sentences are divided into two categories-
There are two categories of assertive sentences. Those are-
- Affirmative assertive sentence
- Negative assertive sentence
Affirmative assertive sentence
In an affirmative assertive sentence, we use an affirmative group of words. In an affirmative group of words, we use a positive sense.
10 Examples of affirmative assertive sentences
Here are 10 examples of affirmative assertive sentences. Have a look-
- They will listen to you.
- Peacock is a beautiful bird.
- Jama Masjid is an attraction of Delhi.
- She is my mother, who is raising her hand.
- My father has returned to India after his meeting held in America.
- India won in cricket by sixty runs.
- They planned to visit Jama masjid during the vacation.
- I have started to write an epic.
- Sameer is a good football player.
- His mother was a principal.
Negative assertive sentence
In a negative assertive sentence, we use a negative group of words. A negative group of words is the opposite of an affirmative group of words. This group gives a negative sense.
10 Examples of negative assertive sentences
Here are some examples of negative assertive sentences. Have a look-
- He doesn’t get up in the morning.
- The students are not attending the Maths class.
- Barking dogs don’t bite.
- I don’t hate anybody.
- They won’t listen to you.
- She is not in that team. (on that team- American English)
- We cannot survive without oxygen.
- She doesn’t write fiction but one-act play.
- You cannot ignore me. You have to speak to me.
- They are flying to Dubai.
Related links of a group of words-