Verb in Past Tense
In the sentence of simple past tense, verb shows the past time, telling the completion of action in the past. In this tense we should use verbs in past tense.
For that, you should know the forms of verbs that are given in the lesson forms of verb.
- She was present
- He came on time.
- They played football.
Let’s have a look-
Person Singular Number Plural Number
1st I ate an apple. We ate an apple.
2nd You ate an apple. You ate an apple.
3rd He ate an apple. They ate an apple.
Formation of Simple Past Tense
Like formation of simple present tense, here we shall see the formation of sentences in simple past tense. Somewhere we use only the form of to be and somewhere main verb in past form. Let’s see how to form the sentences.
Form of ‘to be’
Now we have the formation using the form of ‘to be’ as;
Subject + form of ‘to be’ in past + remaining words
Let’s have some examples-
- I was there.
- You were so happy then.
- They were very naughty.
- He was present to the lecture.
- She was sad due to failure in competitive exam.
Past form of main verb
Formation using the past form of main verb as;
Subject + past form of main verb + remaining words
Here are some examples-
- She stayed (past form of stay) with us for two weeks.
- They enjoyed (past form of enjoy) the party at Juhu beach.
- He did (past form of do) his work very well.
- You did (past form of do) better that you left(past form of leave) that job.
You may like the above links related to past tense.