Present Tense Tells About
The present tense describes mainly the action of the current event or state of being in the existing time at the time of the speaker’s speaking. A sentence in the existing time is used to tell about the present actions.
In English, we use these tenses to tell about the –
Uses of Present Tense
Present state of being
In English, this tense is used to tell about the state.
- He is sad.
- Martin is very happy for his achievements.
- She works there for two years.
- You are thinking about something.
- She tells a story to her kids.
- We use sentences of this tense to tell about the past when we summarize a book or tell a story.
In English, we use sentences of this tense to tell about the future.
- He will call me when he reaches college.
- The next plane for Delhi flies this afternoon at 2 o’clock.
- There is a meeting in the auditorium to discuss further points this evening.
- I shall check my email box when I get home.
- She will be tired after she has been teaching all day.
- I shall see you as soon as I have reached there.
Types of Present Tense
There are four types of this tense –
- Simple Present – I draw a sketch of a cat.
- Present Continuous – I am drawing a sketch of a cat.
- Perfect Present – I have drawn a sketch of a cat.
- Perfect Continuous Present – I have been drawing a sketch of a cat.
Go over- Related links to present tense-