Proper Noun- Kind of Noun
Proper Noun is distinguished from common noun. Proper Noun is a word that is a specific name of person, place, institution, city, corporation and planet.
We know, the noun means name of anything, that is people, places, things and ideas but according to the use nouns are differentiated into two kinds-
- Proper Noun
- Common Noun
Keep in Mind about Proper Noun
When we use proper noun in a sentence, we should keep some ideas in mind.
- The beginning letter of the Proper Noun is always written capital, no matter wherever the proper noun is placed in the sentence.
- The term noun is used for a single word therefore only proper names with single word are proper nouns.
- In English, proper names are not used with articles or other modifiers such as ‘another’ or ‘any’.
Here we shall take some examples to know the use of proper noun in the sentence.
Examples of Proper Nouns
In the following sentences, proper nouns as well as common nouns are used. You will get that proper nouns are used to show specific names and common nouns are used to show general names.
Common Nouns are given in green colour and Proper Nouns are given in blue colour.
- I have to pursue my studies in one of the best subjects.
I have to pursue my studies in Mathematics.
- Prachi resides near the city.
Prachi resides near Mumbai.
- He reached the capital of India in the morning.
He reached Delhi in the morning.
- She wants to be a singer.
Lata Mangeshkar is a great singer.
- She always go for a walk with her friends.
She always go for a walk with Arohi and Sneha.
In above sentences, Mathematics, Mumbai, Delhi, Lata Mangeshkar, Arohi and Sneha are the names of subject, places and persons.
How to use Proper Nouns
The use of proper noun is very easy. You can use proper noun anywhere in the sentence but it should be ensured that the starting letter of proper noun is capital.
Some examples are given here, observe those-
- There is a school near the place where he resides but there are no qualified teachers except Mrs. Gloria.
- They wanted to go anywhere to relax from this working place, so they decided to go Goa.
Examples of Proper Nouns
Some examples of proper nouns are given here.
- Class teacher of fifth standard is Mrs. Manjule.
- His friend has to pursue his engineering at Germany.
- Abdul Kalam was a president and scientist.
- That picture is drawn in Titanic.
In above sentences, blue coloured words are Proper nouns.