Relative Pronoun Replaces the Noun
Relative pronoun tells the relation with noun that used previously.
We can use relative pronouns to join two sentences.
This pronoun replaces the noun of previous sentence.
This describes person, thing or place.
The word which replaces the noun in next sentence giving relation to noun in previous is a relative pronoun.
Common Relative Pronouns
There are some common relative pronouns that we use in our everyday life.
Have a look-
How to Use Relative Pronoun
We can use ‘who’ when we speak about people. Here are some examples.
- I met a scientist who invented that device.
In above sentence, we used pronoun ‘who’ to relate with noun ‘scientist’.
- This is a lady who works hard.
- A student who is an orphan, lives in orphanage.
Like ‘who’, we can also use ‘whom’ when we speak about people. We use ‘whom’ in formal style. Mostly we use ‘whom’ in writing when a person is an object of the verb.
Here are some examples.
- The doctor whom I have consulted is very caring.
In above sentence, we used ‘whom’ to relate with ‘doctor’ and it is the object of verb ‘consulted’.
- She is an actress whom he married last year.
- The students, five of whom are absent.
Whom with preposition
The most common use of ‘whom’ is with preposition.
- Every film director rejected that horror story to whom he approached.
- She became happy as she met her friend with whom she had learnt.
We use ‘whose’ to speak about people but instead of his, her or their.
- He saw the child whose bag was open.
- The girl, whose brother is an actor, started working in cinemas.
- She completed the homework what was given by her teacher.
- I don’t know what happened there.
We use ‘which’ when we speak about things.
- He has acquired a land which he had lost.
In above sentence, ‘which’ is related with ‘land’.
- I often visit the zoo which is in Mumbai.
- He has watched your video which is uploaded on Youtube.
- This is the program that I asked you to watch.
In above sentence, ‘that’ is related with ‘program’.
- The clothes that he bought for his brother are of new design.
- The degree course of technology that he chose, will make him very happy to work.
You may also like the related links –